People have been harassing me for this recipe, so I decided to throw it out there. Adjust the sugar and or salt to taste but this here is pretty great. I hope you enjoy
Papaya BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced finely
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, seeded, deveined and quartered
- 1 Habanero Pepper, seeded, deveined and quartered
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 5 cups large diced papaya
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat, and add in the onion. Cook, until the onions are translucent, stirring continuously to ensure the pieces do not brown.
Sprinkle the sugar, scotch bonnet, lime zest, and lemon zest over the onions, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour in the lime juice, lemon juice, water and vinegar. Bring the ingredients to a boil. Add in the diced papaya, and adjust the seasonings with the salt, if desired.
Bring the mixture to a boil again, reduce the heat, and allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes. Take the pan off the heat, and let the mixture cool slightly. Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender, and puree the sauce until smooth. Transfer the BBQ sauce to a bowl, and set aside.